10 things you didn't know about home insurance

At the most basic level, a home insurance policy should provide cover for the external building and your home’s contents. The buildings insurance is for the cost of repairing the actual structure of your home should it be damaged or destroyed completely, while contents insurance covers the cost of replacing your belongings within your home. However, there’s so much more your home insurance policy can offer.

Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about Home Insurance:

You can cover personal belongings

In a Staysure survey 14% of customers admitted to not knowing that their personal belongings could be covered under their home insurance when they were away from the home. Personal Belongings can even be covered under your home insurance when you are travelling and will be replaced on a new for old basis.

Garden and outbuildings can also be included

In addition to the actual structure of your home, you can also have cover for your garden, including any ornaments or features. Outbuildings can also be covered in the event of damage or total destruction.

… And so can freezer contents

We all know that at Christmas time the freezer is stocked full of more goods than we usually need in a year. So good to know these will be covered on your contents insurance policy if you get a power disruption – Christmas dinner saved!

Many insurers will help fix water leaks

Many policies will now provide cover and help if you spot a water leak in the house. Based on the fact that acting now will help prevent problems in the future, many insurers will help fix these types of problems and make sure that they don’t become a much bigger problem further down the line, which would be a headache for everyone!

Home Insurance from Staysure

Many policies cover damage caused by emergency services

If for any reason the emergency services have to ever break into your home in a critical situation, many policies will now provide cover for putting right any damage caused. Always good to know but hopefully never needed!

Mortgage providers usually make home insurance a mandatory purchase

Building Societies will always encourage you to take home insurance tied in with the mortgage. This may suit them but does not automatically mean you are being offered the best deal available in the marketplace. You are always completely free to buy insurance for your home from any of the providers in the marketplace so long as you supply details to your mortgage provider – and if you have just paid off your mortgage or are planning to, there’s no excuse for not shopping around to save some money!

A level of cover for accidental damage is often included

Did you know most insurance policies include a select amount of accidental damage cover as standard? Buildings cover normally includes: damage to windows, ceramic hobs, baths, basins, toilets, cables, underground pipes and drains. Contents cover normally includes: damage to mirror, glass and home entertainment equipment. You can enhance this cover with Additional Accidental Damage Cover which protects you in the event of accidents like spilling paint on a carpet or burning a hole in a bedside table with a pair of hair straighteners.

Legal expenses cover can be added to home insurance

This is always worth taking out when you insure your home as it gives you protection across a whole number of areas. For example, Staysure’s legal expenses cover gives you access to a phone line for free help and advice on a range of issues from identity theft to consumer disputes.

Different levels of Home Emergency Cover are available

Many insurers, including Staysure, now offer Home Emergency Cover should you suffer any problems which would make your home unsafe or insecure while providing cover for boilers and central heating systems.

You still need to know rebuild and replacement costs even with a blanket policy

Always make sure you know the accurate re-build cost of your home and the replacement cost for your contents. Even if you have what is called a blanket cover policy which, for example, covers your buildings up to a maximum re-build cost of £500K or £1M, this will still be calculated using a number of factors including the size of your house and its location. It may well pay to shop around with an accurate re-build cost in mind.

Looking for Home Insurance?

Staysure’s home insurance specialists are on hand to tailor a buildings and contents policy to suit your needs – you can even chose from a wide range of polices from some of our leading partners including; Allianz, Ageas, Aviva, LV, and Towergate.

Talk to the specialists today on 0844 692 8400^ or get a quote online.

Get Quote

^Calls cost 7p per minute from a UK landline plus your phone company’s access charge