CFS/ME Travel Insurance
CFS or ME is diagnosed in an estimated 250,000 patients in the UK. Those with the condition will know how difficult it can be to do anything energetic but that doesn’t mean a holiday can’t be fully enjoyed.
Staysure prides itself on considering all medical conditions, simply give our travel insurance specialists a call on 0800 033 4902 or get a quote online in a matter of minutes.
Why do I need travel insurance for CFS/ME?
At Staysure, we know how important it is for patients with CFS to travel worry free, so our policies ensure you have more than the bare minimum covered.
Don’t let the free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) lull you into a false sense of security. Although it does offer some degree of emergency medical cover if you are visiting EU countries, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein, help is limited to emergency medical treatment only and it will not cover you anywhere else in the world. Therefore, without additional cover in place, you or your family could have to foot the bill for repatriation, cancellation, emergency accommodation and more – costs which could run into thousands of pounds.
Our 24-hour emergency and repatriation service is on hand to help take away the hassle of arranging medical treatment if you fall ill abroad. Our fully trained specialists will also liaise with your doctors, if necessary in a foreign language.
Tips for travelling with CFS/ME
As with most medical conditions, there are a few things you can do to make your journey more comfortable. Some of us forget to do the obvious so the following check-list may help you plan ahead amidst the excitement of organising your trip.
- A healthy diet at all times is vital to your wellbeing, so whenever possible keep eating the right foods while you are away
- Don’t overdo the sightseeing or other holiday activities. There’s no need to feel ashamed to take regular rests so don’t be persuaded to carry on until you feel ready to do so
- Go on holiday with a friend or family member who will be able to help you should your energy levels plummet as you may need practical and emotional help
- Being chronically ill is irritating to say the least, so it’s vital to reduce stress triggers as much as possible. This means making plans in advance to avoid any last minute surprises
- If you are taking medication, bring enough with you to cover your holiday needs, plus extra for any possible delays. Keep it safe with you in your hand luggage.
Common questions about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) or Myalgic encephalomyelitis (M.E.) travel insurance
What if I need urgent medical attention while on holiday?
- You can call our 24-hour assistance service to get help with organising a doctor or, if necessary, a trip to the nearest hospital. Our multi-lingual staff will be able to translate and liaise with doctors to arrange the treatment you need. We will also arrange for ambulance transport home if necessary when you arrive back in the UK.
I had to go to hospital as a result of CFS. Will this affect my cover with you?
- You will need to state this at the time of medical screening and we will take this into consideration when providing a quotation. Provided your doctor has passed you as fit to travel and our underwriters agree to cover you, we should be able to provide you with travel insurance for your needs.
Will the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) cover me?
- Emergency medical treatment in EU countries as well as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein, is often covered with the EHIC, but only on the same basis as citizens of the country you are visiting. Additional travel insurance is always recommended, especially if you want the peace of mind that you are covered should the unexpected happen while on holiday with M.E.
What will happen to my family if I am hospitalised abroad?
- If you wish and they are named on your Staysure policy, our Comprehensive cover will fly children home under the care of a competent adult, to ensure they get home safely to a family member or close friend of your choice. Alternatively, if your condition allows and you are all listed on the same policy, we can fly you all home early. Should you have to stay in hospital, we will arrange for extra accommodation for a travelling companion and even give you a hospital allowance to cover other expenses.
Do I need to take out travel insurance that covers my medical condition?
- It’s certainly a good idea as you don’t want to take risks with your health. We need to know about pre-existing medical conditions such as CFS and M.E. when you take out your policy. You can declare them easily through a quick medical screening process, either online or over the phone with the help of one of our travel insurance team. Failure to do so could unfortunately mean your cover is not valid in the event of a claim.
Do I need to complete medical screening?
- Yes, you will need to answer a few simple questions to ensure we can cover you. This is easy to do and takes just a few minutes either online or over the phone.
CFS/ME Travel Insurance
Apply for your CFS/ME travel insurance quote online, or by calling one of our travel insurance specialists on 0800 033 4902.