Gas safety check for holiday homes

Posted on May 6, 2013 by Guest Writer
Black gas stove and two burning flames close-up

As the owner of a holiday rental property, you have a legal responsibility towards your guests when it comes to gas safety. The carbon monoxide (CO) produced from burning gas is highly poisonous and, if inhaled in sufficient quantities, can be lethal. Sadly it’s been the cause of 40 casualties and deaths in holiday accommodation in the UK over the past two years.

The gas safety check below outlines the things you can do to ensure that gas appliances and fittings are completely safe and that they comply with The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Your holiday home gas safety check

  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm in your holiday home and include instructions for use as well as a log book to show when it was last checked and batteries were installed. Put it alongside your fire alarm, and clearly label it so that they can be told apart easily.
  • Provide easy to find instructions on how to safely use the gas appliances in your holiday home, including those for gas barbecues, so that guests can avoid any accidents.
  • Make sure your boiler or other gas appliances are checked every year for safety and efficiency. After a registered gas engineer has checked and serviced your gas appliances, keep the gas safety certificate visible as an up-to-date record of works completed.
  • Put up a sign in your holiday property to highlight the main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, chest pain and loss of consciousness. These will not only keep your guests well informed, they will also demonstrate your commitment to gas safety.

.