Commenting on last week’s warning by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) to young British travellers that they put their health as well as their finances at risk by travelling without adequate insurance, specialist insurer Staysure says its research shows that the FCO should also consider warning the over-50s.
Older travellers, frequently engage in risk taking behaviour on holiday, according to the findings with a third saying they take more risks now than when they were younger. Staysure’s research of over-50s travellers shows:
- The over-50s take an average of three risks each trip and include drinking too much, walking in poorly lit areas and straying off the tourist track
- 1 in 5 found themselves in a potentially dangerous situation on holiday. A third take more risks now than when they were younger and said they just want to have fun on holiday.
- 10% admitted not buying insurance for a holiday and a sizeable minority admitted to not declaring a medical condition to keep the cost down. The average over-50 traveller is taking over £600 worth of personal possessions on holiday.
- Holiday regrets include throwing caution to the wind while being drunk, getting into cars with strangers and ill-fated holiday romances.
- They’re taking more adventurous holidays than when they were younger and travelling as much as possible is a top priority.
- Half said they have a ‘wish-list’ of destinations they haven’t visited yet which include safaris, trekking and getting off the beaten track.
Commenting on today’s warning to young travelers by the FCO, Gina Rudd of Staysure said: “The FCO is right to warn young travellers of the financial and physical risks of travelling without adequate insurance, but our research shows that older holidaymakers also take risks. Over 50s travellers are taking more adventurous holidays and making travel a priority, but they are taking unnecessary risks with their health, finances and personal safety. It is important to always declare any pre-existing medical conditions at the point of purchase to ensure they are fully covered”
Staysure specialises in providing affordable travel insurance with pre-existing medical condition cover for over 50s and also provide Car, Home, Holiday Home, Life and Health Insurance.