Travel insurance for cancer patients
Getting travel insurance as a cancer patient can sometimes be a difficult and expensive process but, rest assured, this may not be the case with Staysure.
We partner with an expert underwriter which specialises in providing medical condition cover for all types of pre-existing conditions. We’ll take you through a few questions when considering your medical condition and allow you to tailor the policy to your specific needs, so you can just relax, safe in the knowledge that you are fully covered should the unforeseen happen when you’re on holiday.
Your tailored travel insurance policy will insure you for your medical expenses as well as for any theft or loss of your belongings, leaving you with the peace of mind to enjoy your holidays to the full.
Get a quote online with our simple medical screening process, or for more information about travel insurance when you’ve had or have been diagnosed with cancer, please do not hesitate to contact our travel insurance specialists on 0844 692 8444^ who will be glad to help you with any questions you may have.
Why do I need travel insurance for cancer?
Regardless of your medical condition, travel insurance is always essential as it’s always better to be prepared for the unexpected, particularly when away from home. If you haven’t received any cancer treatment, check-ups or follow-ups within the last two years, your diagnosis won’t affect your premium.
When you phone for a quote, make sure you have the following information ready:
- The specific name of your type of cancer
- The names and dosages of any medication you are taking
- Medical history documents to help with questions relating to date
Tips for travelling with cancer
- Depending on the nature of your cancer, consider destinations where you can realistically enjoy your holidays, without pushing yourself to the limit.
- Check you will have adequate facilities in the country you are visiting, plus medical insurance, should you need urgent assistance.
- Bring with you a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in addition to your Staysure insurance – your EHIC grants you state healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes for free, depending upon the country you are visiting.
- Remember to pack all your prescribed medications with you, plus 50% extra to cater for any unforeseen delays. Keep them safely in your hand luggage so they are ready for whenever you may need them or if you are delayed.
- You may need a licence for carrying some medicines (like morphine based pain killers). Your hospice or hospital will obtain one for you. Make sure you apply for this well in advance of your departure date.
- If you have undergone radiotherapy, never expose the irradiated parts of your body to direct sunshine during the first year. After a year, always use high protection sun cream and, between 11am and 3pm, avoid spending prolonged periods of time in the sun.
- Always carry your travel insurance documents with you in case of an emergency.
For more information about travelling with cancer, visit Cancer Research UK’s website.
Frequently asked questions about travel insurance for cancer
Can I get travel insurance with cancer?
- Yes, we consider everyone for travel insurance including people with cancer. Provided your doctor has declared you fit to travel, you have declared all conditions during our medical screening process and our underwriter has accepted cover, we can provide you with the insurance you need. An additional premium may be necessary.
Can I get travel insurance with terminal cancer?
- Unfortunately we are unable to cover anyone who has received a terminal diagnosis at this time.
Can you fly with cancer?
- Many people with cancer can fly safely, however as with all medical conditions, discussing your plans with your doctor first is essential. Some people such as those who have had lung-related problems, oedema, bone marrow or stem cell transplants, low platelet counts or recent surgery might be at risk of complications if they fly.
Cancer Travel Insurance
Apply for your online cancer travel insurance quote or call our specialists on 0844 692 8444^.
All travel insurance provided by Staysure is subject to agreement from our underwriter. Terms and conditions apply, details of which can be found within the Policy Document.