Travel insurance for Spain

Spain is the most popular European holiday destination for British nationals. From historic towns, fine wine and tapas to white villages, fabulous fiestas and sandy beaches, Spain offers something for everyone. Mainland Spain, the Balearics and the Canary Islands can all be included in your Spanish holiday insurance quote.

To find out more information or to get a quote, feel free to call our travel insurance specialists free on 0800 033 4902 who will be more than happy to help. Alternatively you can get an online quote in just minutes by clicking below.

Get Quote

Cover for medical conditions in Spain

You should apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before you travel. If you already have an EHIC, make sure it hasn’t expired.

Bear in mind that some medical costs aren’t covered by the EHIC; however, the card will cover you for any emergency treatment you receive at a public healthcare hospital during your trip. The treatment provided is on the same terms as Spanish nationals.

Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance in place to cover such things as repatriation and any medical treatment not covered by the EHIC. Without a travel insurance policy, you could find yourself having to cover the cost of things like: repatriation; transport delays and cancellations; loss or theft of cash or personal belongings; having to curtail your trip due to an emergency at home; sourcing replacement medications quickly if they get lost or stolen. A Comprehensive travel insurance policy takes care of all this and more.

Spain travel information


The FCO Travel Advice pages recommend that you visit your health professional at least four to six weeks before your trip to check whether you need to take care of any vaccinations or other preventive measures.

Should you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112 for an ambulance.


If your passport describes you as a British Citizen or a British Subject with Right of Abode in the United Kingdom, you don’t need a visa to enter Spain. If you have another type of British nationality, you should check the entry requirements with your nearest Spanish Embassy or Consulate.

Driving in Spain

Be aware that driving is on the right hand side in Spain and the accident rate is higher, especially on motorways: In 2015, there were 36 road deaths per one million inhabitants in Spain compared to 29 in the UK.

You are legally obliged to carry:

  • Two red warning triangles to place in front and behind your vehicle in the event of an accident or breakdown.
  • A spare wheel and the tools needed to change it.
  • A reflective vest should you need to leave your vehicle or while waiting for the arrival of the emergency services.
  • UK provisional licences are not valid in Spain.
  • A valid Certificate of Insurance. Remember that this Certificate is generally only valid for a stay of less than 3 months so contact your insurer if you are staying longer.

Using a mobile phone when driving is forbidden, even if you pull over to the side of the road – you must drive completely off the road before using it. Earpieces are also illegal but you are permitted to use a completely hands-free unit.

Drink driving laws are strict in Spain (maximum of 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, or 30mg for professional drivers and drivers with less than two years’ experience). Penalties include heavy fines, loss of licence and even imprisonment.

Local laws

You will need to carry photographic ID with you at all times as police officers can request to see it at any time. If you fail to provide it, they have the right to hold you at a police station until your identity is confirmed. Ignoring direct requests or challenging a police officer is a criminal offence in Spain.

FCO advice

While the majority of visits to Spain are trouble-free you should be on the alert for petty street crime. Thieves tend to seek out passports and money so don’t keep them all in one place and keep a copy of your passport and travel insurance documents somewhere safe. Get all the latest travel advice from the FCO here.

In recent years, there have been a rising number of reports that claims companies are targeting holidaymakers at resorts in Spain and inviting them to make false claims on their travel insurance. Travellers should be aware that making a fraudulent insurance claim is a criminal offence in Spain and can incur heavy fines and even imprisonment.


  • The currency in Spain is the Euro which can be obtained through currency exchange providers, banks or bureaus de change. It’s a good idea to buy your Euros well in advance as exchange rates in airports and stations can often be poor.
  • Credit and debit cards are widely accepted throughout Spain, both at point of sale and at cash point machines. When buying goods, you may need to show ID (driving licence or passport).
  • Banks are generally open from 8.30am to 2pm, Monday to Friday. Some open on Saturdays from 9am to 1pm. During the summer (June to August), most banks shorten their opening hours to 9am to 1pm.

Travel Insurance Spain

At Staysure we want to help our customers have the time of their life on their holidays to Spain – something we can achieve by providing peace of mind at an affordable price.

Get a travel insurance quote online or by calling 0800 033 4902.

Get Quote

*Price is correct at the time of publishing, based on one person aged 18–65 on a Basic policy travelling within 30 days of purchase, excluding medical conditions
†Based on all quotes given between January 2016 – December 2016