Gastric Reflux Travel Insurance

Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) is a common digestive condition that affects around one in ten people every week in the UK, according to the NHS. Although this condition can cause discomfort, it shouldn’t stop you indulging in a spot of wanderlust.

It can strike people of all ages including children but it’s more common with adults over 40. Caused by acid leaking out of the stomach and into the oesophagus, complications can include oesophagitis, ulcers, trouble swallowing and oesophageal cancer. However it’s not all doom and gloom, as the outlook for those with GORD is usually good and the majority of people respond well to medication.

If you are receiving treatment for GORD or a related complication, getting travel insurance is a good idea if you are planning a holiday. At Staysure we consider all medical conditions and our easy medical screening process can provide you with a personal quote in a matter of minutes, or you can call one of our travel insurance specialists on 0800 033 4902.

Get Quote

Why do I need travel insurance if I have gastric reflux?

Good question, as most people can travel problem free if they have gastric reflux – if your doctor has given you the go ahead of course. Nevertheless, if you have a medical emergency while away and Staysure has agreed to cover you, you’ll have access to 24-hour emergency assistance, should you have any unforeseen medical complications while away. Falling ill does happen on holiday, but knowing Staysure is looking after you means you can relax and enjoy yourself without needless stress.

If you are taking medication for your gastric reflux you could have problems if it goes missing or is stolen. However, if you have a policy with us, we can help replace any lost medication. It’s also worth noting that all our policies cover you for the loss of luggage and passports. Staysure has a team of friendly travel insurance specialists to answer any gastric reflux insurance related questions you may have, so that we can provide you with a policy that best suits your needs.

Tips for travelling with gastric reflux

  • As always, avoid tobacco, alcohol, coffee or chocolate as these substances can relax the lower oesophageal sphincter muscle, making symptoms worse
  • Spicy and salty foods can increase excess stomach acid so try to avoid them, even when on tasting the local cuisine on holiday
  • Try to find high fibre foods whenever possible as they help decrease stomach acid
  • A glass of milk can help absorb excess stomach acid and reduce gastric reflux symptoms
  • Chewing mint can help relieve symptoms of excess acid build up
  • Avoid eating large meals as over-eating produces more acid which can worsen symptoms
  • If you get heartburn, don’t lie on your back as this increases the chances of stomach acid getting into your oesophagus
  • Make sure you have enough medication to last the duration of your holiday, plus a little extra in case you are delayed
  • Keep an up to date list of your medication in your purse or wallet for ease of reference, this will speed up the process if you need to replace them
  • The National Health Service (NHS) advises all travellers to cover their holidays adequately with a private travel insurance policy, using their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) as additional cover only.

Get Quote

Common questions about gastric reflux travel insurance

  • I’ve had an operation to correct gastric reflux. Will I be able to get cover with Staysure?

    Due to the nature of gastric reflux, we need to consider each person on a case by case basis. If your doctor has said you are well enough to travel and you’ve been fully discharged from all post ops, then all you need to do is complete our simple online medical screening process. As long as you answer all our questions and any additional premiums are paid, there should be no problem in covering you.
  • My GP said that it’s not a good idea to travel abroad as I have oesophagitis. Will you insure me?

    Unfortunately, if your doctor has advised you not to travel, then we can’t cover you.
  • I have trouble swallowing sometimes because of my gastric reflux condition. Do I need a policy if I have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

    You would be taking a risk if you didn’t have a travel insurance policy. Your trouble swallowing will need to be diagnosed by a doctor as a symptom of your gastric reflux.

    The National Health Service (NHS) advises that all travellers cover their holidays adequately with a private travel insurance policy, using the EHIC for additional cover only.

    You can apply for a free EHIC online. The EHIC card will not cover you for missed flights or extra accommodation if you are hospitalised due to problems related to your gastric reflux condition. Our Comprehensive policy covers you for medical emergencies and flights home for you and your travelling companion. In addition, your children will be flown home by a competent adult, if you can’t accompany them.

  • I take medication for my condition, will you be able to help if I accidentally lose my medication while away?

    Yes, if you’ve purchased a Comprehensive policy with us, declared all pre-existing medical conditions and they have been accepted, then we can help you replace any lost or stolen medication. All you have to do is call our 24-hour medical emergency number and speak to one of our team members.
  • I’m going on an overseas business trip next month but don’t speak the language, what happens if I need to see a doctor?

    If you have purchased our Comprehensive policy. You can simply call our 24-hour medical emergency number, which is in English. Our friendly team of staff can then arrange any medical treatment you need while abroad.

Gastric Reflux Travel Insurance - Get a Quote

Our simple medical screening system allows you to declare your gastric reflux and find the ideal holiday insurance for your needs. Apply for a quote online in a matter of minutes or call our travel insurance team on 0800 033 4902.

All travel insurance provided by Staysure is subject to agreement from our underwriter. Terms and conditions apply, details of which can be found within the Policy Document.

Get Quote