Why use our TIA travel insurance?

Transient ischaemic attacks (TIAs) affect around 46,000 people in the UK each year. They are often referred to as ‘mini strokes’, as the effects only last for a few minutes and are usually fully resolved in 24 hours. While this is a major health concern for those with the condition, many people can still continue to travel abroad to dream destinations.

Of course, TIAs affect people in a wide variety of ways, so we can’t guarantee coverage without assessing you first. We consider all pre-existing medical conditions and evaluate cover on a case by case basis. Simply complete our medical screening process online, or contact our friendly travel insurance specialists on 0800 033 4902 who will gladly help.

Get Quote

Why do I need travel insurance to cover TIAs?

A good question. TIAs are considered to be early warning signs that you may have a stroke in the future, so it’s a good idea to have medical travel insurance if you’re travelling abroad, just in case. Once your doctor has declared you fit enough to travel, our travel insurance team can consider you for a policy that caters for your needs.

Provided you’ve declared your TIA and our underwriters agree to cover it, you’ll have access to 24-hour medical assistance in the event of an emergency. In addition, our policies cover you for new flights home and accommodation should you have a stroke while abroad and if you have to cancel your holiday due to TIA, these costs will be met. We will also pay for your travelling companion or partner to accompany you home, as well as provide a competent person to return your children home. All our policies cover you for the loss of luggage and passports.

Tips for travelling after a TIA

  • When on holiday, try to resist over eating, smoking and drinking too much alcohol, as these increase your risk of a TIA
  • Eat more fruit and vegetables while away as this is key to your recovery
  • If you’ve recently had a TIA, make sure you receive medical clearance from your doctor before getting on a plane
  • If you are planning to explore a new city, a bus tour will cut down on your walking. Although a little exercise is encouraged, at least you can stay on the bus if you get tired
  • Take additional supplies of any medicine just in case you lose it, damage it, or get delayed
  • Write the names of your medications down and keep the list in your wallet or purse. If you lose them, you’ll be able to replace them more quickly
  • The National Health Service (NHS) advises all travellers to cover their holidays adequately with a private travel insurance policy, using their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) as additional cover only.

Common questions about TIA travel insurance

  • I had a TIA two months ago and I’d like to travel. Will you insure me?

    This is a condition that we would consider covering. Firstly, you need to declare that you’ve had a TIA by completing a simple medical screening process either online, or by speaking to our friendly team of travel insurance specialists on 0800 033 4902.

    This would have to be accepted by our underwriter. Providing you’ve answered all our questions and we are aware of any pre-existing medical conditions, we could provide you with cover. However, there may be an additional premium and your doctor needs to declare you fit to travel.

  • I’ve had several TIAs and my doctor has advised against travelling abroad. Will you still cover me?

    No, if your doctor has advised you against travelling abroad we wouldn’t insure you.
  • I’m taking statins to help lower my cholesterol. What type of insurance should I get?

    Although the last thing you want to think about is having a TIA on holiday, taking out a quality travel insurance policy that covers your medical condition will provide you with peace of mind and allow you to fully enjoy your holiday.
  • I already have a European Health Insurance Card, I had a TIA three months ago and my doctor has said I’ll be okay to travel. Do I need additional travel insurance?

    It’s strongly advised that you have additional travel insurance as well as an EHIC. Although the card entitles you to reciprocal health agreements that exist between EU countries, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein – it does not cover additional flights or accommodation should you end up in hospital.

    It’s also worth noting that the EHIC offers the same level of care afforded to citizens of the country you’re visiting, meaning it may not be up to the standard you are used to in the UK.

  • TIAs are a common problem in my family. If I took out a policy, would I be covered if I were to have a stroke?

    Yes, our insurance policies cover you for medical emergencies and flights home to the UK for you and your travelling companion. Any children will be flown home by a competent adult too, should you have any unexpected hospital stays. This is provided that you’ve never been diagnosed with having a stroke or take any medication.
  • Do you cover lost medicine while abroad? And how quickly would it be replaced?

    Yes, if you have a Comprehensive policy we will assist you in replacing lost medication as quickly as possible.

TIA Travel Insurance

Apply for a TIA travel insurance quote online in a matter of minutes or call our specialists on 0800 033 4902.


Get Quote