Travel Insurance for Australia | Staysure™

Getting the right travel insurance for Australia

Australia is a big favourite with Brits with over 670,000 of us visiting every year. But it’s a long way to go. It’s a big place, and it’s probably best to pack a proper travel insurance policy along with the sunblock.

A tailored policy means you’re protected against travel and medical mishaps. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, you can widen your cover to include activities such as cruises or golf.

So, when you’re on the other side of the world you can be secure in the knowledge that we’re on your side, just in case something goes up the creek.

Doesn’t that sound ripper?

You can get your tailored quote for Australia travel insurance online here, or talk to us now on 0800 033 4902.

Get a Quote

Can I get free health care in Australia?

The UK and Australia have a reciprocal healthcare arrangement. It means if you’re a British citizen resident in the UK and travelling with a British passport in Australia you are entitled to a limited level of subsidised health services from Medicare. You must enrol with a local Medicare office.

But please note, this only covers essential medical attention; it won’t cover treatment for pre-existing conditions or anything that doesn’t require urgent treatment.

Also, if you’re not covered under the reciprocal healthcare arrangements between Australia and the UK, the cost of emergency medical treatment can be very high. So, it’s well worth arranging Comprehensive holiday insurance before you start your trip.

What does our travel insurance to Australia cover?

Basic Comprehensive
  • Medical emergencies and repatriation up to £5m
  • Cancellation and cutting your holiday short covered from £500 with optional upgrade to £3,000
  • Baggage claims up to £300
  • Cash lost or stolen up to £250
  • Excess £85 – £100
  • Unlimited medical emergency and repatriation cover
  • Cancellation and cutting your holiday short covered from £5,000 up to £15,000
  • Baggage loss up to £2,500
  • Cash lost or stolen up to £500
  • Legal protection cover of up to £25,000
  • Excess £65

Travel insurance to Australia with pre-existing medical conditions

If you have a pre-existing medical condition, we’ll ask you to complete a medical screening. This helps us work out how we can cover you on your adventures Down Under.

How does the medical screening work?

We’ll simply ask you some questions about your medical situation.

If you have a medical condition and it’s not included in your policy, it would mean that you’re not actually covered. So it’s really important that the answers you give us are as accurate and complete as possible.

What sort of questions will I be asked?

It depends on your personal health circumstances, but this is the kind of thing we’ll ask you:

  • How long have you had this medical condition?
  • Have you recently been treated with surgery?
  • Do you take regular medication for this?

To help you during the process, it’s a good idea to have details of your medical condition to hand.

There are a few conditions we can’t cover, but rest assured we’ll do everything we can to help you find the travel insurance that meets your needs and that you’re happy with.

You can go through the screening process online, or over the phone if you prefer. If you’ve got any queries, please ask us – we’ll be happy to answer them.

You can get your tailored quote online now or call us 0800 033 4902.

Do I need vaccinations to visit Australia?

Generally speaking, no. But you may need to take a Certificate of Vaccination if you are arriving from an at-risk area for Yellow Fever.

Can I take my medication into Australia?

You won’t need a permit to bring in most prescription medicines, even if they contain a controlled substance. That’s because such imports are generally covered by a traveller exemption scheme. But there are some exceptions and you should check on the Australian Home Affairs page on bringing medicine into Australia.

How long can I stay in Australia?

In visa terms, you’re allowed to stay in the country for a maximum of 3 months at a time.

You can leave the country and re-enter for a further 3 months within the lifetime of the visa (12 months).*

What if my airline or travel company goes bust before or during my trip?

It probably won’t surprise you that this is one of the main concerns we hear from our customers.

Recent times have unfortunately seen the collapse of several travel companies and airlines. That’s left many holidaymakers out of pocket or even stranded on the tarmac because their arrangements were not covered by ABTA or ATOL Licences.

But it’s not all doom and gloom. End Supplier Failure is covered as standard on our Comprehensive Travel Insurance policies. This means you’ll have cover of up to £3,000 against the insolvency of travel and hotel companies etc (which do not form part of a package holiday.)

Get your travel insurance for Australia today

Get your travel insurance for Australia today.

Get a quote in minutes and tailor your quote to you and your family’s medical and travel needs.

Call us on 0800 033 4902 or tailor your quote online today.

Get Quote