Cardiomyopathy travel insurance

Cardiomyopathy is a complicated disease of the heart muscles that is often inherited and can affect both children and adults. The disease can take several different forms, with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy alone affecting 1 in 500 UK citizens. Although the severity of the disease can vary, with the right planning and precautions in place, and guidance from your GP, there’s no reason why cardiomyopathy should stop you enjoying a well-earned holiday.

With the right travel insurance in place, you will be able to jet off in the knowledge that you will be covered for any unexpected occurrences. To find out more, please call our travel insurance specialists on 0800 033 4902 or get a quote online.

Get Quote

Why do I need travel insurance for cardiomyopathy?

If you have been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy but given the green light to go on holiday by your doctor, then our travel insurance specialists can provide you with a policy so that you can travel with peace of mind. The nature of cardiomyopathy as a chronic and progressive disease makes it all the more important that you travel insured.

When getting your quote, its important to declare the specific type of cardiomyopathy you have. The two most common types are:

  • Dilated Cardiomyopathy, sometimes called idiopathic or congestive cardiomyopathy, this is the most common form of cardiomyopathy where the chamber walls of the heart have become stretched and thin resulting in a weakened contraction
  • Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, the second most common form of cardiomyopathy, is a thickening of the heart’s walls which results in the chambers reducing in size and holding/pumping less blood.

Other types of cardiomyopathy include restrictive, ischaemic, ARVC and Takotsubo (broken heart syndrome).

As long as you declare your cardiomyopathy and our underwriters agree to cover it, you’ll have access to 24-hour medical assistance in the event of an emergency.

Tips on travelling with cardiomyopathy

  • Speak to your GP before booking a holiday to confirm that you are indeed fit to travel
  • Make sure you have enough medication to last the duration of your holiday, plus a little extra just in case you lose some or are delayed. Keep an up-to-date list of your medication in your wallet or purse for ease of reference
  • If you’ve had a pacemaker or ICD fitted for whatever reason, make sure to carry documentation with you to the airport to show security if needs be
  • Beware not to overindulge whilst on holiday. Avoid excessive alcohol consumption, smoking and eating too much unhealthy food as these can all place added strain on the heart. This is especially true if your cardiomyopathy is a result of lifestyle choices and not inherited
  • Think carefully about your destination: Avoid countries with extreme temperatures and high altitudes as this can put extra pressure on your heart
  • Try to limit stress while on holiday. Give yourself plenty of time to pack and arrive at the airport. Plus don’t pack too many activities into each day
  • If you need help with moving around the airport, phone up in advance to make the necessary arrangements. Beware not to over pack as lugging heavy suitcases around could raise your blood pressure
  • Cardiomyopathy will put you at an increased risk of blood clots. When flying, book an aisle seat so you can get up frequently and move around, reducing your risk of clotting. Compression stockings can also be purchased from large pharmacies to help prevent against blood clots. Check out these helpful tips to help prevent flight-related deep vein thrombosis
  • The National Health Service (NHS) advises all travellers to cover their holidays adequately with a private travel insurance policy, using their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) as additional cover only. An appropriate travel insurance policy with Staysure will cover you for all eventualities and allow you to relax and enjoy your holiday to the full.

Cardiomyopathy Travel Insurance

Apply for cardiomyopathy travel insurance online or call our specialists on 0800 033 4902.

Get Quote