Getting the right travel insurance after a heart bypass
Heart bypass surgery is used to treat coronary heart disease and is also known as a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG). According to the National Health Service (NHS), more than 35,000 procedures are performed in England every year. Many people with a heart condition are still able to go on and enjoy their holidays, including people who’ve had surgery. The BHF suggests that travel insurance that covers the condition is bought when planning your holiday.
Staysure prides itself on considering everyone for cover, no matter their medical history, on a case by case basis using a simple medical screening process. Get a quote in a matter of minutes by calling our team of travel insurance specialists on 0800 033 4902 or click below for a quote online.
Why do I need travel insurance following heart bypass surgery?
Purchasing travel medical insurance is a wise investment as it means you will be looked after if you have a related medical emergency on holiday. This is especially important if you’ve had heart bypass surgery as treatment can be very expensive in countries such as the United States.
It’s worth noting that Staysure is an award winning insurance company that specialises in over 50s insurance, which means you’ll be in safe hands.
Our Comprehensive policies cover you for a number of scenarios including cancellations and extra flights or accommodation for you and your travel companions if you have a medical emergency.
In addition, you’ll be pleased to hear that we can replace any lost or stolen heart medication. All of the above can also be added to our Basic policy as an optional extra.
Tips for travelling after heart bypass surgery
- Stay in accommodation that is close to all amenities
- Don’t overdo it after surgery; after all, a holiday is meant to be relaxing
- Take enough medication for the duration of your trip, plus a little more in case you lose any
- Keep a list of all your medication, generic names and doses handy. If you lose any you can replace it quickly with this information to hand
- Avoid going to extremely hot or cold destinations as extremes can put unnecessary strain on your heart
- Avoid high altitudes such as ski resorts, as the higher you go the less oxygen there is in the air. This could lead to headaches, angina or extreme breathlessness
- Use luggage with wheels so you don’t have to carry it
- Allow plenty of time when travelling so you don’t feel rushed and reduce stress by not leaving your packing to the last minute
- Moderate your alcohol consumption as exceeding the daily limits regularly can raise your blood pressure and cholesterol level
- Eat healthier food such as wholegrain bread, pasta and rice, fruit, vegetables and oily fish. Try and avoid meat pies, sausages, cream, cakes, biscuits, butter and lard
- If you are travelling to Europe, it’s a requirement with Staysure that you get a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This gives you free or reduced cost medical treatment, but it doesn’t cover other costs such as being flown back to the UK. Apply online here or call 0300 3301350.
Common questions about heart bypass travel insurance
What should I do if I have a medical emergency while on holiday?
- In a medical emergency you must contact us as soon as possible. We appreciate this sometimes isn’t easy however a friend or family member can call us to let us know if you’re in hospital. We have a team of trained professionals on call 24-hours a day and you can even reverse the call charges from abroad if you need to. Our team of friendly staff will help you arrange emergency treatment in local health centres or hospitals, or fly you back to the UK for treatment if necessary.
Will you help me if I lose my heart medication while I’m on holiday?
- Yes, provided you have made a full declaration and your condition has been accepted by the underwriters, we can replace any lost or stolen medication with a Comprehensive policy. Simply call our 24-hour medical emergency number and speak to one of our team members. It’s worth noting that we can replace prescription glasses and lenses too.
Would I be covered if I missed my flight due to a medical emergency related to my recent heart bypass?
- Yes, as long as you have declared any pre-existing medical conditions such as a heart bypass you will be covered for a missed flight if you have a medical emergency.
Get your travel insurance quote today
Talk to us today on 0800 033 4902. Or, you can get a quote online in just a few minutes below.