Planning to travel after a lockdown can seem like a daunting experience. And thinking about what you’re covered for with your travel insurance policy should be the last thing to worry about.
Understanding what you’re covered for will help you travel again with confidence, and more importantly enjoy your holiday with peace of mind.
Below, we cut through the jargon and talk about what is and isn’t covered when you take out a new covid travel insurance policy with us.
When can I be covered for COVID related claims?
To be covered by your travel insurance, you’ll need to be travelling to a place that the FCDO have not advised against travel to. Your policy will only be valid if it’s safe for you to go.
If you need to travel to Europe when the FCDO advises against ‘all but essential’ travel, you can add our FCDO Travel Advice Extension to your policy to be covered on your trip.
Below, you can find out more about our COVID-19 cover in more detail:
Cancellation cover before you go
Cover available on all policies:
- You have COVID-19 within 14 days of travelling*
- You’re told to self-isolate by the government’s Test & Trace system
- You can’t complete your vaccine course due to other illnesses, or you have an allergic reaction to the vaccine that would stop you travelling
- You’re denied boarding with a positive test for COVID-19 or have a confirmed temperature above 38 degrees Celsius
- Cancelling your trip after hospitalisation or death of a close relative or member of your household from COVID-19
- Your travelling companion(s), people you live with, or people you’re staying with on holiday being diagnosed with COVID-19 within 14 days of travel***
While you’re away
Only if you’re travelling to a destination where the FCDO does not advise against ‘all’ or ‘all but essential’ travel are you covered for the following:
- Emergency medical expenses abroad**
- Repatriation to help you get back home**
- Cutting your trip short after hospitalisation or death of a close relative or member of your household from COVID-19
- Additional accommodation and transport if deemed necessary by our medical officer
- Daily benefit if you are ordered to self-isolate in your holiday accommodation if you have COVID-19
What you’re not covered for:
Travel insurance covers you for unexpected costs that can’t be recovered elsewhere. We’ve worked hard to make our COVID-19 Cover the best that we can for you and continue to work on improvements.
But it’s important to understand what you aren’t covered for when you’re buying a policy.
It can be difficult to think about everything that could possibly go wrong that you might want to cover, but here are some of the exclusions to be aware of that we can’t cover you for:
- Not wanting to travel
- Buying a policy after receiving a positive COVID-19 test result or waiting for a result when your trip starts within 14 days
- The cost of any COVID-19 tests or results that might be needed to travel
- Your GP or medical practitioner advising you not to travel due to existing health conditions
- Quarantine costs on arrival back to the UK, if necessary
How we can help when you can’t claim
If, as a result of COVID-19, your travel company has cancelled your trip, it will usually be their responsibility to offer you an alternative holiday.
If you rebook a holiday, we can:
- Change your travel dates on your single trip travel insurance policy. Everyone can move their holiday dates at least 18 months on from the date they bought their policy. There may be an additional charge if there are any significant changes, such as changing your destination.
- Also change your holiday destination to any other country that is safe to travel to, as long as there is no increase in cost. If there is an increased premium, you’d need to pay the price difference to change your cover.
If you need to make changes to your Single Trip Travel Insurance policy, you’ll need to do so before you were originally due to travel.
You can make either of these changes to your policy online using My Staysure to avoid administration charges when calling to make amendments.
See more about how we’re helping our existing customers if their plans are impacted by Covid.
*Subject to medical certification/test result. No cover if symptoms or diagnosis occurred prior to your policy purchase.
**Cover only applies for newly diagnosed cases while travelling.
***No cover if your relative was already hospitalised before you left on your trip.