Do I Need a TV Licence for Holiday Homes | Staysure

Do I need a TV licence for my holiday home?

Posted on April 15, 2015 by Guest Writer
TV licence registration form

As the owner of a holiday rental property, you’ll be well-aware that home comforts are important if your property is to get the regular bookings you want.

Amongst other things, a modern, flat screen TV with Freeview channels plus some good, family-friendly DVDs can make all the difference to holidaymakers. But when it comes to TV licensing in the UK, it’s important to be clear on where you stand or you could get a hefty fine of up to £1,000.

Is one licence enough?

If you already have a TV licence for your permanent home, don’t be fooled into thinking that this is enough. As a UK holiday home owner, you’ll need to be aware that you are legally obliged to get a separate TV licence for your holiday rental property as well, even if it is attached to your own home.

If you have several holiday properties, you can obtain a multiple licence which saves you buying one for each of your properties. Hotel and Mobile Unit Licences are also available if you have rooms, caravans or chalets for short stay rentals. One licence will cover up to 15 units of accommodation, with another licence required for each subsequent five units.

What if I don’t have a TV licence?

Enquiry officers work from a national database of over 20 million UK addresses and regularly visit properties, including holiday homes, where they suspect TVs are being watched without licences.

Jon Shaw, TV Licensing spokesperson, says: “With more people choosing to stay in the UK for their holidays, hotels and holiday parks could have a bumper break. It’s essential that managers of holiday sites ensure they are covered so they can enjoy the holidays without the worry of an unwelcome guest and the risk of a fine of up to £1,000.”

How much will it cost?

A single television licence, known as a Hotel and Mobile Units Television Licence, is needed for your holiday home and comes at a cost of £145.50 per year. If guests are staying for more than 28 days, a normal TV licence will need to be purchased.

To find out more about TV licences for holiday homes and how to apply and pay for them, visit the TV Licensing website.

Cover your holiday rented property.